Discover Meru National Park
from iKWETA Safari Camp
Affordable Safari Luxury
in Mt Kenya region
“…we were watching 3 lions, when a large group of probably 100 elephants came down to the river in single file – they just kept coming and coming.”
– Visitors to Meru National Park
Meet the Big Five of Meru...
The Park is famous for its varied eco-systems – from thorny bushland in the North and South-East to tropical marshes and dense riverine forests of Doum and Raffia palm in the West with sizable waterways; from rain forest (Ngaya Forest, also known as the “Elephants Maternity”) in the North-West to open grasslands elsewhere.
Meru National Park is, of course, the land of the Big Five – elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, and leopard.
The Park is one of the best places in Kenya to see rhinos in the wilderness. At last count, the fenced 83 sq km Rhino Sanctuary was home to 34 black and 70 white rhinos.
Meru National Park is famous for its lions. The Park is especially associated with Elsa the Lioness and the film Born Free, a 1966 Technicolor British drama film starring Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers as Joy and George Adamson, a real-life couple who raised Elsa, an orphaned lion cub, to adulthood.
Elsa’s Grave is at the southern end of Meru National Park, off the southern bank of the Ura River.
Some of Kenya’s largest herds of buffalo are found in Meru National Park.
The stealthy and elusive leopard are to be found here. When on safari don’t forget to look up the thorny acacia trees once in a while. You may be surprised what you find – a leopard with a kill…
Meru National Park is the home of many other animals as well, including cheetah, hippo, zebra, giraffe, hartebeest, oryx, oribi, waterbuck, … and abundant birdlife…
The Park is truly a bird watchers paradise. Over 400 species are recorded.
Finally, affordable Luxury at Meru National Park. Meru is one of my favourite parks in Kenya. The problem was always that there was only basic or 5* accommodation. iKWETA Safari Camp fills the gap with a very nice tented camp just outside the main gate. Very nice tents, good food and friendly staff and excellent location.
– Guest, International Tour Operator from The Netherlands
iKWETA Safari Camp is about Affordable Safari Luxury in Mt Kenya region.
We offer natural elegance, personalized service and value for money.
We are a small Tented Camp – by choice …
Only 10 guest Tents.
TAKE A CLOSER LOOK…
and hear what our guests say
At last, a non-rip off safari experience in Kenya!
After looking for three weeks for a reasonably priced safari, we found iKWETA, …
Lovely site, beautifully appointed tents and bathrooms, but no unnecessary ‘holiday’ frills, which you normally pay for. Great food, was fast and delicious, staff proactive and well trained and everything was just perfect.
The cost – a third of any other listed safari place and just outside one of the least visited wildlife gems in Kenya…
– Guest from Europe
…It is hard also to mention the “comforts” of bed without noting the attention that was given to the bed linens and pillows, they are like a soft embrace after a long day.
It was also a pleasant surprise to find the tents were bug free (even after a night of rains).
For those of you who like to travel with your kids, this place is great, as they are very quick to make adjustments to accommodate even small children (our kids are 2 and 4 years old, and the tent had plenty of space for a baby cot and single bed, which the staff quickly brought in upon our arrival).
– Guests, family from Thika, Kenya
… The bed is glorious. Hard to wake up in the morning for an early game drive. But the magnificent rising sun seen right from the comfort of your pillow gets you going…
– Guest, from Gaborone, Botswana
Haven of Relaxation. …I think it is the attention to small details that makes such an appealing complete package. For example, the natural sounds of the “wilderness” are heightened by the strategic placement of wind chimes and water fountains throughout the camp.
Also, there is nothing like being able to enjoy the morning sunrise from the comfort of the bed (all the tents, and beds are facing east, and the open design is optimum for viewing superb sunrises from bed).
– Guests, family from Thika, Kenya
…iKWETA was the first stop on our 17 day adventure… we had a tent called Hippo… The room is lovely with a comfortable double bed and a very modern sink and bathroom…
– Guests, family from Preston, United Kingdom
I love the tent bathroom. It is unique. Unlike other tents that I have stayed in, this bathroom is a room altogether separated from the main tent by a nice stone wall. It has a safari style hardwood table and top sink. Really cool!
– Guest, from Gaborone, Botswana
Fantastic service, lovely place. Dinner outside with just candles to light up the table gave a really romantic feeling.
– Guests, couple
Highlight of our African adventure! … We truly felt we were being embraced by the natural beauty and awe of Africa…
– Guests, family from Chatham, New York, U.S.A.
Amazing Eco-friendly Camp! For dinner on the first night we had a table out in the open surrounded by fairy-light decorated trees. Totally magical, like eating in a fairy glen.
– Guests, couple from Europe
At night I gazed at the stars and the Milky Way outside my tent…
– Guest, from Paris, France
- Spacious, comfortable Guest Tents
- Improved accessibility for guests who are wheelchair users and for those with reduced mobility
- Large swimming pool
- Mains electricity
- Ample power sockets in guest Tents for charging devices
- High-capacity backup generator
- DSTv in Guest Lounge
- Free fast Internet connection in the Central Area
- Optional excursions to other attractions in the local area
Fabulous Oasis in Meru. The lovely pool was very refreshing after a long game drive.
– Guests, from San Diego, California, U.S.A.
Meals cooked to order
Accommodations are on Full-Board basis.
Our delicious cuisine – cooked to order – is prepared from fresh local produce and from our own Greenhouse and farms.
Vegetarian dishes are always on offer.
Flexible meal times
Meal times are flexible, depending on arrival and departure times of guests.
Pre-game drive early morning wake-up calls with coffee, tea and biscuits on request.
Packed Breakfasts and Lunches can be arranged to accommodate game drives.
On Full-Board basis, at nominal tariff.
What else our Guests say...
What is Certificate of Excellence?
Trip Advisor gives a Certificate of Excellence to accommodations, attractions and restaurants that consistently earn great reviews from travellers.
This is paradise on earth! Everything was perfect: The welcome by the owners, the kindness and efficiency of the staff, the tented bungalows, isolated and really comfortable, the total quietness of the place, the excellent meals prepared from local produce, the subdued atmosphere in the huge reception room with bar and TV, the closeness to the entrance of Meru NP, the swimming pool and the beauty of the surroundings.
A great place which we highly recommend.
– French couple
Thanks to favourable guest reviews, iKWETA Safari Camp has earned Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence every year for the past six years in a row – in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 – thus qualifying for Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame twice, also in a row, that is in 2018 and 2019 …
Highly recommend this amazing place. It is a luxury camp but really affordable. Their slogan does not lie.
– Swiss couple
This is a charming and well-run establishment and it’s a fraction of the price of the high-end camps.
– British couple
You get luxury for little money…
– Nordic couple
for iKWETA Safari Camp
WONDERFUL! 9 out of 10
TOP CHOICE (2015)
– Lonely Planet
Featured in MSAFIRI, Kenya Airways Inflight Magazine (February 2015)
Featured in DAILY NATION, Kenya’s largest newspaper (October 21, 2015)
Featured in BUSINESS DAILY (August 26, 2016)
2019 Full-Board Rates
East Africa Residents
Double/Two persons sharing
Residents of elsewhere
Double/Two persons sharing
3-11 years old sharing
Guest Tent with parents
50% of adult rate
Full-board accommodation rates include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Selected beverages (tea/coffee, fresh juice at breakfast, water for packed Lunches) are also included.
Full-board accommodation rates exclude Transport, Park fees, Game drives, Special excursions, and Beverages (other than the selected ones) are charged separately.
All rates include applicable taxes (VAT, 16%; Tourism Levy, 2%).
iKWETA Safari Camp
Meru National Park, Murera Gate
P.O. Box 620 Maua 60600 Kenya
Tel.: +254 705 200 050
Tel.: +254 708 235 861
Accommodation is by advance confirmed reservation. To check our current availability and make your provisional booking, please click on the Calendar box below and enter your desired dates.
You may also fill out the Contact form on this page if you have specific questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible. See also our FAQ [Frequently Asked Questions] below.
We accept payment with M-PESA (to Till Number 56024), and with PayPal and major Credit Cards.
We accept Payments Online on this secure website via Direct Pay Online, a platform used by many establishments in Kenya and in other countries. We can also send you an Email Transaction link to make payment in order to guarantee your reservation. Click on any of the links to go directly to Payments Online page.
Email us now!
iKWETA is a brand of tourism products and services under iKWETA Hotels & Lodges LTD endeavouring to promote affordable safari luxury and good value for money in Mt Kenya region. For more information, click on the link to visit the respective establishment’s website: iKWETA Safari Camp | Lake View Studios | iKWETA Country Inn.
(1) Accommodation is by advance confirmed reservation. Reservation cannot be confirmed before a deposit of 50% of the booking total is made. The full booking balance is due on the day of arrival. (2) Payments by M-PESA, Payments Online on our secure website, major credit cards, bank transfer, or PayPal. (3) Change of dates is possible depending on availability. (4) The deposit will be refunded according to the cancellation conditions. (5) If the booking is cancelled less than 14 days before arrival then a charge equal to 50% of the stay will be made. (6) In the event of a no show or booking reduction (after arrival date) the full cost of the booking is charged. (7) Terms and Conditions Apply (for the period 21 December – 3 January).
Excerpts from guest reviews on Trip Advisor
– “…this incredibly lovely camp with fine dining, excellent service and luxury tents can all be had for a mid-range budget price!!!! Having stayed at some (much more) expensive places and some (pretty awful) basic accommodations, I highly recommend iKWETA Safari Camp without reservation!! Congratulations, iKWETA Safari Camp Safari Camp and keep up your good work and high standards!!”
– “Lovely site, beautifully appointed tents and bathrooms, but no unecessary ‘holiday’ frills, which you normally pay for.”
– “In my opinion this is much more interesting and intimate than most of the lodges in parks, and for less than half the price one gets personalized service, scrumptious food and better accommodations.”
– “What a lovely relaxing time that we had, the accommodation was excellent, the staff friendly and attentive, food fabulous. Drinks fairly priced and not set to abuse the guests that are staying at the camp.”
– “…a great place. The [tents] are designed to the last detail, they are beautiful, extremely comfortable and with all the desired luxury. Employees are excellent, you can order food at different times, picnics ready for 4 am and do everything you need, the [tents are] perfect throughout the day. The food is delicious, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The place is lovely, you feel inside the National Park, it has an ideal pool for hours of rest between safari … iKWETA Safari Camp is worthwhile in every way and above at a great price in Kenya. I recommend it to everyone!”
– “The food was delicious! All my meals were included in the price and it was plentiful! The chef came out to the dining room to see that I was happy with the food 🙂 He was very nice! I have compared this place with many others, and I VOTE FOR THIS ONE with no hesitation! The price is definitely better than other places I’ve seen and it lacks nothing that other places offer whatsoever!”
– “Great food …. and good Italian I could appreciate the good local cuisine. …just outside the park and the cost and; very low compared to the tented camps that had been proposed in the park itself.”
– “We liked iKWETA Safari Camp because, although designed for tourists it wasn’t in any way touristy. Situated just outside the reserve it gives an authentic experience of living in a tented camp without roughing it. The food is excellent, the staff friendly as are the owners.”
– “…And it gets even better…this incredibly lovely camp with fine dining, excellent service and luxury tents can all be had for a mid-range budget price!!!! Having stayed at some (much more) expensive places and some (pretty awful) basic accommodations, I highly recommend iKWETA Safari Camp without reservation!! …”
Excerpts from guest reviews on Trip Advisor
– “The food was excellent, served by the plate, a nice relief from the usual buffet at other safari camps.”
– “The food was excellent! They do not have a buffet or a la carte menu – The chef comes to you personally and whips up excellent meals according to your taste. They do source their own vegetables which adds to the fresh food you will eat there. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals, and even though occasionally we had a slight delay from the kitchen, both management and chef took this up and acted quickly.”
– “We were very pleasantly surprised by iKWETA Safari Camp. The tents and on suite bathrooms are up to luxury standard. The food is very good and the setting is ideal, very close to the park entrance Murera Gate. We enjoyed the candle light dinner outside the restaurant.”
– “Speaking of the restaurant…oh my goodness. The FOOD! Exquisite. Delicious. 3 x 3 course meals per day! “
– “Loved it here what a lovely little find. The food was amazing i couldnt keep up with it and im a big eater. The staff were very nice especially … lovely personality. I stayed for 4 days very relaxed even dipped into the pool.”
– “The drive from Nairobi was long … and I was not feeling well after a bad stomach infection. The relief on finally arriving … was big and real. The welcome was warm though and the room lovely. the staff could not have been more helpful and [the owners] were there to personally welcome us too. The food was very good but I could eat nothing at first. They cooked steamed fish for me as I thought that would help but it was actually the sorghum porridge in my room at 6am that put me on the road to recovery. This level of care was exceptional and most hotels would not do it. Top marks. I do hope the business continues to thrive as people realise that Meru National Park is one to visit too.”
– “The quality of the food served for breakfast, lunch and dinner was really good.”
– “We had a lovely time at iKWETA Safari Camp for Christmas. The food was good (and we were even given a picnic breakfast to take on an early morning safari), the location (2 kms away from the main Murera Gate of Meru National Park) is perfect and the swimming pool just right to take a break from safaris and spend the warm hours of the day. The kids loved it and we did too.”
– “The food was amazing! Being vegetarians, we thought we would have to settle for chips or Indian curry, but we were amazed to have delicious continental food. The chef will go through the menu with you every morning, and in case you don’t like something, they can always change it for you.”
– “We loved our stay … The staff were very welcoming and treated us well. The food was delicious and our tent was just magical. After being in tough conditions this was certainly a nice way to end the trip.”
– “The food mostly comes from their own greenhouses and land and fruit trees. Can’t get any fresher than that! The drinks are no more expensive than going to a reasonable pub in UK.”
– “the local staff were service oriented, well-trained and actually seemed to take pride in their jobs! No sullen tired of the tourists staff here!!! Now let me tell you about the meals!!! Not only were they absolutely delicious, but would make any ‘foodie’ sit up and take notice!!! Tomato slices and mozzarella with fresh basil, hand-made ravioli with a delicate mustard sauce, topped off with a warm pineapple cobbler and ice cream!!! I’m not a usually a picky eater (and who goes to Africa for fine dining anyway!!!), but this was a 5 star meal…under the stars and a full moon, with candles and lanterns to gently light your ‘dining experience’!!!…”
– “We really enjoyed dinners under the starts. Food is of exceptional quality. The chef is very dedicated and willing to pleases guests!”
– “Food was very good, no buffet but directly served at your table with many fresh ingredients. As it is a small structure there is much flexibility regarding hours for meals which is a big advantage and gives you much freedom to enjoy your safaris.”
– “The food was simply fantastic.” Food was good – local produce, imaginative recipes, good vegetarian / non meat options (particularly enjoyed the bruschetta, tilapia with peppers and crepe suzettes with fresh fruit).”
– “Good wholesome food…”
– “There are only 10 tents which is perfect for the available facilities. With the current size, and the no frills approach, the service and the food stand out as exceptional.”
– “Stayed for one night, friendly attentive service, lovely clean tents, good food and plenty of it and very close proximity to the park Murera Gate.”
– “The food is delicious, breakfast, lunch and dinner.”
– “I cannot write this review without mentioning the food. The meals alone is worth the price of the stay and I hope they never replace the chef! You do not want to miss these meals so don’t even think about choosing anything else then full board option. The cozy tents and lovely pool and all the rest is just a magnificent bonus to your stay here.”
– “The food was very very lovely. The menu is quite interesting since each meal is different and they change every day. The vegetables are all home grown in their greenhouse within the same compound. What I found most interesting is that the waiters are expected to give you the same service as a top notch hotel. They even give you the name of the wine as they pour it for you. This special service is quite rare in Kenya, so you can imagine our pleasant surprise.”
– “The food was delicious and served to one’s taste (medium rare etc.) and the presentation was elegant.”
– “The food is heavenly we were constantly looking forward to meal times, the food was fresh, tasty and the portions were quite generous.”
– “We enjoyed … the food, which can be customized to individual requests and diet requirements.”
– “The food is fresh and expertly prepared, there were different options on the menu each day, and with many vegetables grown at the camp’s greenhouse they can make an amazing salad! So, thanks again to all the staff at iKWETA Safari Camp! Everyone should make this their first option for their next holiday or vacation.”
– “…outstanding food, and friendly staff, this camp is a must-stay…”
– “Incredibly good food and service by friendly staff.”
– “…food is just great, varied, well presented and copious.”
– “The food is good. I had the best fish (tilapia) and chips I’ve ever had. …iKWETA Safari Camp really gets it right for an amazingly good price.”
– “…good and healthy food…”
– “…very good food, excellent cook”.
– “The food was outstanding thanks to a “Five Star Chef”.
– “Good food. One of us is vegan and that was not a problem for the chef.”
– “Good, varied and balanced meals. Delicious mangoes from the property”.
– “…very good food, excellent cook”.
– “The meals are very balanced. Quality and quantity are good and local food is not missing. The staff is friendly and helpful but not intrusive. In short: you feel completely comfortable!”
– “…the food was excellent”.
– “…The food is so good that you almost forget the descent into the park.”
– “The food was always plentiful and well cooked…”.
– “Lovely camp, good food and super staff”.
– “The food is fine, the staff is really friendly and helpful. If you want to bring your drinks to your tent, nothing comes of it, they will bring it neatly to your tent.”
– “Beautiful dining room: you can have meals indoors, on the terrace, or in the garden. Unlike the majority of National Park accommodations, which serve identical buffets for each meal, here the kitchen … creates diversity at every meal, with fresh produce from the garden or surrounding farms. Delicious mixed salads, delicious vegetable creams, pasta are homemade. Delicious desserts that change from pastries … Even the bread is good. Vegetarians are welcome. Coffee, tea at the bar or in the lounge, with delicious biscuits.”
– “the chef, is a star. His food was very tasty and plentiful. Breakfasts were good with fruit, eggs, sausage, bacon and toast. The coffee was really good. Best we had all holiday. We were surprised to get so much Italian food at lunch and dinner but it was well cooked and [the Chef] was rightly very proud of it. We had a packed lunch on one day and that was excellent too. We had cheese sandwiches, boiled eggs, fruit and pasta salad. One very good thing is that the camp are very flexible about breakfast times. Two days we had breakfast after our morning game drive (coffee and tea and biscuits were provided pre drive). The day we had a full day game drive with packed lunch, they provided a full breakfast for us at 6 am. You won’t get that at the high-end places!! All the food is sourced locally and you could really tell how fresh the fruit and vegetable were…”
– “Food is amazing, the chef came out and we thanked him in person too. They even had ice-cream! (shouldn’t get excited but we never saw any at mealtimes in other places) For dinner on the first night we had a table out in the open surrounded by fairy-light decorated trees. Totally magical, like eating in a fairy glen…”
– “…The food was great and varied compared to other places we have stayed, all credit to … the chef, and the service at dinner – particularly … – was superb. We got to dine under the stars to the chorus of frogs!!”
– “…the food is absolutely great. I give them 5 stars and highly recommend staying here.”
– “…one of the most delicious food I had in Kenya, … Feels like an old fashion stay in a middle of savanna. If we have a chance, we will visit once again.”
– “…perfect food (if you have special preferences, let them know and – depending on availability – they will serve you your special meal). Great rates!”
– “The food is exceptional, particularly the delicious soups. There is always a vegetarian option available. The fresh produce comes directly from the greenhouse at the back of the camp.”
– “…the food is excellent and the staff take good care of their guests. Also the prices for drinks are lower than at most lodges…”
– “The food is incredibly great as well as all the services provided.”
– “The food was INCREDIBLE! I didn’t want to ever go back home to my normal routine. I especially enjoyed having dinner outdoors under the beautiful stars.”
– “The tents are highly elegant and comfortable while the food was both delicious and nutritious.”
– “Elegant rooms, Delicious Food, and Beautiful Nature.”
– “The food served was very good – wonderful fresh fruit in the morning, eggs cooked to order, and they made wonderful Kenya mixed chai. Lunch was a soup (they are fresh and wonderful) and a pasta, and ice cream. Dinner was always a meat dish, vegetables, followed by dessert. You will not starve. One day they did pack us a lunch to take on safari – again, very accommodating.”
– “A luxury retreat with excellent food, service.”
– “…excellent and delicious food and not forgetting the best customer service ever!!!!!”
– “Food was up to standards, be sure you let them know if there’s a vegetarian or other meal related requests, as they do daily menus…”
– “Food is sumptuous here. We enjoyed every bit … wondered how on many occasions we had missed such a great encounter with nature and good food too. We will come again for sure.”
Excerpts from guest reviews on Trip Advisor
– “Everything we experienced – linen, room size, room appointments, food and service – are what one would expect from a much pricier establishment. My sleep was only interrupted by the flapping of the tent roof on a windy night…”
– “Family run boutique resort, very close and handy to Meru game park. Excellent personalised service from very friendly staff. Great tented accommodation nestled in bushland making each tent very private. Food was beautiful and they served dinner outside under candlelight for our group of 10. Wonderful stay, great location and fabulous people!”
– “Night time was very interesting and once you got used to the sound of what seemed like thousands of insects and frogs you were lulled into a really good night’s sleep. No nasty bites at all.”
– “The game park is just 5 mins away and we had 2 really interesting drives and saw many animals including the Rhino(5) and great numbers of baboon, giraffe, buffalo warthog etc. No cats were seen by anyone that week. We followed a road along the river and saw hippo and buffalo wallowing – a magic day.”
– “…Meru National Park is very close to the camp. More important than all my wife fell in love with this camp and was very happy during our stay :).”
– “nice safari tents secluded among trees, reached by winding walkways, so very quiet and private: very comfortable beds: extremely friendly and helpful staff: very tasty food including locally grown fresh herbs and vegetables.”
– “…Great staff, great food and very tranquil atmosphere. Loved the sounds of nature; the roaring of the distant lion in the heart of night, the symphony of a thousand croaking frogs, a rich assortment of birds and the proximity to the Meru National Park.”
– “…Tranquil environment, close to Meru National Park.”
– “The location is perfect and is just minutes from the entrance to the Meru National Park.”
– “Nice lodge in beautiful location and quiet environment.”
– “Have visited Ikweta a great number of times and always like coming back. The food is splendid and plentiful, the staff lovely and the rooms are what they promise – affordable luxury luxury. Location to the park is equally good and within 10 min you will be in Meru NP which is a hidden gem in itself.”
– “the location (2 kms away from the main Murera Gate of Meru National Park) is perfect”
– “Location close to the National Park feels like the bush with incredible birdsong in the morning”.
– “Really good location, at 2 minutes from main entrance of Meru National Park”.
– “Beautiful location and a very peaceful setting”.
– “…wonderful place with a great location”.
– “Wonderful location when on safari”.
– “…good location to stay. It is equal to the other locations we experienced. Comfortable, good quality of meals and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The tents are very convenient.”
– “The location is very beautiful and the entire team – really everyone – was very friendly. Great place which we can highly recommend.”
– “…the location is amazing, located very near Meru game reserve”.
– “A great location for visiting Meru Game Reserve”.
– “Beautiful location and a very peaceful setting”.
– “The location is within 5 minutes of Meru National Park where we had some really great game drives. I would definitely recommend staying here if you will be in the area.”
– “…impressing [sic] location in the wilderness, only a few kilometres to Murera Murera Gate of Meru NP. A good alternative to the expensive Lodges/Camps inside the NP. The large tents with comfortable beds are situated among trees and offer quiet and private atmosphere. Amazing pool. Well managed, friendly and attentive staff. Tasty food with locally grown ingredients. Altogether: Highly recommended.”
– “The location is perfect and is just minutes from the entrance of Meru National Park.”
– “The location is great, very close to Meru main Murera Gate. The staff were very good and welcoming, without being intrusive. The food was very good, and as it is a small camp the chef can customise the dishes according to taste. Overall a stay here is tremendous good value for money for money.”
-“The food is delicious and the location in relation to Meru National Park is unbeatable”.
– “convenient location 2 min away from Meru Nat Park, Murera Gate… The staff is very very very kind and the food was very good too. They organised also 2 safari per day in the park, which offers nice panoramas and wildlife.”
– “Beautiful African lodge in a remote setting. Had outside dinner under amazing skies. Great and friendly staff. Living quarters tent was awesome, just be prepared for serenading from very loud frogs. Great location to get ready for game drive in Meru National Park.”
– “The location just outside the Murera Gate of Meru National Park is fantastic. It was really a wonderful haven to escape the Nairobi chaos, our only regret is not spending more time there!”
– “…conveniently located near Meru National Park, loads of birds around, great service and I enjoyed their meals. Did I mention its pocket friendly too! yes it is.”
– “…very convenient in terms of location and accessibility. Just at the entrance of Meru National Park, Murera Gate, this camp is an ideal place to relax after day’s activity in the Park.”
– “Very nice tents, good food and friendly staff and excellent location.”
– “It is a very nice location with nice tents. staff very kind and gave their best”.
– “…after visiting some other camps since my stay at iKWETA Safari Camp, I feel that I need to make some rave remarks about this camp in particular as it is one of a kind. …The tents are beautiful in design and so private. … Staff are so friendly and go out of their way to be nice and helpful. And the food is just great, varied, well presented and copious…”
– “Lovely place cozy sweet people lovely food good tents one sleeps to sounds of frogs and wakes to the most beautiful birds sound and then it is close to the National Park”…
– “Everything was perfect: The welcome by the owners, the kindness and efficiency of the staff, the tented bungalows, isolated and really comfortable, the total quietness of the place, the excellent meals prepared from local produce…”
– “Excellent well located place in the interiors of the wild gives an extreme feeling of nature. Pleasant services by staff that made our stay comfortable and the taste of food was mouth-watering. Must visit again for a longer time.
-“Great staff, great food and very tranquil atmosphere. Loved the sounds of nature; the roaring of the distant lion in the heart of night, the symphony of a thousand croaking frogs, a rich assortment of birds and the proximity to the Meru National Park”.
Meru Park is a year-round destination. Wildlife (including the Big 5) is abundant throughout the year.
Scenery is always spectacular.
The road network in Meru National Park is excellent even for a salon car. During the rainy season a 4 x 4 vehicle is preferable. The Rhino sanctuary includes a large wetlands zone.
One of our tents is wheelchair accessible. Restaurant and toilets are accessible as well. iKWETA Safari Camp is on a flat terrain.
Two children between 3 to 11 years old sharing a tent would pay 75% of the Room (Tent) rate.
iKWETA Safari Camp is very flexible with meal times and provides personalized meal service, as requested.
Yes, we cater to many Vegetarians and Vegans. Guests should advise in advance of any lactose intolerance, peanut allergies, diabetic needs, celiac disease (gluten-free).
All iKWETA guest Tents are fully-equipped with heavy-duty mosquito netting protecting Tent doors and windows. Also, Tents have safe mosquito diffusers. As precaution, guests are advised to have their personal mosquito repellents.
In addition to game drives to Meru National Park (by prior arrangement), iKWETA Safari Camp endeavors to enrich the experience of its guests by organizing optional excursions to interesting and scenic places in the vicinity of the Camp, including Nature Walks to nearby (“Skull”) hill – which offers panoramic views of the entire An excursion to (morning or afternoon drives), past scenic small-scale tea farms where some of the best tea in the world is grown, is a rewarding experience. For day excursions, guests are taken in their tour company vehicle or they may use their own vehicle and are accompanied by an employee of iKWETA who serves as a guide. Packed lunches can be arranged. A nominal fee may be chargeable (per group of whatever size). Details are available from Reservations.
Kenya has strict anti-smoking laws. Tobacco Control Act (2007) states that “no person shall smoke in restaurants, hotels, bars or other eating place; except in designated smoking areas”. All iKWETA Safari Camp Guest Tents are smoke-free. Smoking is absolutely forbidden inside the Guest Tents. Smoking is allowed only in the designated outdoor areas, including on the veranda of the Guest Tents, by the Swimming Pool, and in the Central Area adjacent to Two Zebras Dining, using the provided ash trays. Any guest contravening the smoking law and iKWETA Safari Camp smoking policy makes himself/herself liable to lawful action under the Tobacco Control Act. Also, he/she may be asked to leave iKWETA Safari Camp without refund and surcharged a cleaning fee equivalent to one night stay.
To maintain serene surroundings and especially a quiet and sleep-conducive environment, iKWETA Safari Camp has zero tolerance noise policy. A warning will be issued to offending guest(s) if there is a noise complaint. If there is a second complaint, the offending guest(s) will be asked to leave iKWETA Safari Camp with no refund. There is zero tolerance policy to drunkenness. No illegal substances are permitted at iKWETA Safari Camp. A violation will result in immediate expulsion from the Camp and possible involvement of law enforcement.
Types of lost and found incidents include: (1) Mislaid property – the owner has unintentionally left the items behind. (2) Lost property – the owner has unintentionally left the items behind, then forgotten them. (3) Abandoned property – the items were intentionally left behind by the owner. iKWETA Safari Camp will maintain a record for lost and found items and of the efforts by Management and staff to contact and return the items to the owners.
Valuable items, such as luggage, will be kept only for 24 hours and disposed of thereafter for safety and security reasons. iKWETA Safari Camp will not be held responsible for any missing or damaged items inside the luggage. Non-valuable items will be kept for 1-2 days. Non-valuable items include items in paper or plastic bags. Perishable items will be kept for 24 hours and disposed of thereafter. Perishable items include food and food items.
Guests shall be held liable for any loss of or damage to property of iKWETA Safari Camp incurred by them. The establishment reserves the right to charge guest’s account commensurate to the cost of such loss or damage.
(1) Pets are not allowed. Only registered guide dogs may be permitted by prior arrangement. (2) Guests may not bring their own pillows, bed sheets, duvets or other items of bedding. (3) Guests are not allowed to bring their own electrical appliances and/or equipment for heating and/or cooking purposes. (4) Parties or events are not allowed in the Guest Tents. (5) Any person visiting a staying guest must register with their Kenya ID or national passport. (6) Any person sleeping over must register with their Kenya ID or national passport and the lead guest will be charged for the night(s) (at the appropriate tariff, e.g., as Double).
What information we collect. We collect the following information on this website: Name; email address and other contact details. At check-in, it is standard procedure, and a lawful requirement, for all Hotel guests to provide certain basic information about themselves. In Kenya, the law states that: “The licensee shall keep a register of particulars of every guest” (Tourism Act, 2011. Section 27, Tourism Regulatory Authority Regulations, 2014. Register and book to be kept by licensee). This information is collected on a standard Guest Registration form. For meetings, conferences and events, there is a basic Registration form for participants.
What we do with the information we gather. We require such information so as to abide by lawful requirements and to be able to follow up on our guests’ reservations and to provide them with a better service. Such information is also useful for internal record keeping. We may use this information to contact guests in the future to inform them of our Special Offers.
How we safeguard the information we collect. We are committed to ensuring that our guests information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and on Guest Registration at check-in.
How to contact us. If guests have any questions about this Privacy Notice, they can contact us by e-mail through the Contact form on this website or write to us at: iKWETA Safari Camp, Meru National Park, Murera Gate, P.O. Box 620 Maua 60600 Kenya.